Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Praying for revenge or forgivness?

How do you pray for people who have hurt you? Do you pray the best for them? Have you ever prayed to God that they "get their just desserts" say with a bunch of horrible things happening to them? And that you're there to witness it? Have you sought what you might have referred to as "justice"?
Does this song sound like you??


Yeah, the song does makes us laugh. I roared when it first came out, thought it was so darn funny and it is. But then I got to thinking... have I totally missed the point in praying for those who have hurt me? Do I seek revenge in an assortment of unfortunate events befalling the person who hurt me? Did Jesus sound anything like this song when he was nailed to the cross, bleeding and dying for those who hurt him? Those like me?

Nope. Jesus prayed to God for those who hurt him to be forgiven and he himself forgave each and everyone of them for the pain and suffering they caused him.
Jesus is our perfect example.

So the next time someone angers you check yourself during your prayers. Are you praying forgiveness or revenege?
Song: Pray for you
By: Jaron And The Long Road To Love

"Pray For You" lyrics
I haven't been to church since I don't remember when
Things were going great '˜til they fell apart again
So I listened to the preacher as he told me what to do
He said you cant go hating others who have done wrong to you.
Sometimes we get angry, but we must not condemn.
Let the good Lord do His job and you just pray for them.

I pray your brakes go out running down a hill
I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the
head like I'd like to
I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls
I pray you're flying high when your engine stalls
I pray all your dreams never come true
Just know wherever you are honey, I pray for you

I'm really glad I found my way to church
'Cause I'm already feeling better and I thank God for his words.
{ From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/j/jaron-&-the-long-road-to-love-lyrics/pray-for-you-lyrics.html }
Yeah I'm going take the high road,
And do what the preacher told me to do,
You keep messing up and I'll keep praying for you.

I pray your tire blows out at 110.
I pray you pass out drunk with your best friend and wake up with
his and her tattoos.

I pray your brakes go out running down a hill.
I pray a flowerpot falls from a window sill and knocks you in the
head like I'd like to.
I pray your birthday comes and nobody calls
I pray you're flying high when your engine stalls
I pray all your dreams never come true
Just know wherever you are, near or far, in your house or in your
car,
wherever you are honey, I pray for you.
I pray for you
---end song---

3 comments:

Chatty Catholic Kim said...

Good song and brings out good points. We shouldn't wish bad on others, even though we all do it. And if that happens, forgiveness comes a lot easier. For people who have hurt me, I can't really remember wishing bad on anyone. THOUGH when someone gets executed or something, sometimes I will say they deserved it or some thing like that, which I shouldn't be doing either. Very good thing to think about in this post.

KatyLamb said...

I am guilty of saying,"May the Lord reward them as they deserve," when someone makes me mad. However, when I think of it for awhile, I do try to pray for the best good of our enemies. That is, I pray for the enemies of Christ's Church.Nobody else really makes me mad enough to consider them an enemy. I pray for those who are trying to tear down the Church. After all, their best good will probably end up being our best good too. Right?

Anonymous said...

So tonight, let's pray for those who give us a royal pain in the sensibilities.
And for the grace to love them the way Jesus wants us to!